Year Round Beauty on the Garden Route
Considered one of the most picturesque and spectacular sections of coastline in the world, the Garden Route is truly a scenic paradise that offers an enjoyable Mediterranean climate with warm summers and mild winters.
Named after the lush and ecologically diverse vegetation encountered, this floral kingdom is a haven for eco-lovers, bird watchers, and solitude seekers. Along the 124 mile course between Mossel Bay and Storms River, you will come across golden sandy beaches, tranquil lagoons, seaside villages, ancient forests, and mountain hideaways. Quickly becoming known as “the adrenaline route”, thrill seekers can abseil, kite surf, and even attempt the highest bungee jump in the world.
There are many destinations along the Garden Route to consider. These are our favorite five:
- Knysna - Considered to be the Jewel of the Garden Route, Knysna is situated on an estuary that is surrounded by indigenous forests. With year round warm weather, this town is a popular destination for both tourists and retirees, who can enjoy the world class golf courses, outdoor adventures, unique array of wildlife, and fusion of different eateries.
- Tsitsikamma National Park - Situated at the heart of the region, the park is home to a 50 mile long coastline marine reserve that offers adventure activities for everyone including tree top canopy tours, hiking trails, scuba diving, boat rides, and so much more.
- Plettenberg Bay - A hotspot highlighted by the rivers, beaches, and the bay which provide perfect conditions for watersports — sailing, fishing, surfing, and scuba diving. Additionally, there are fabulous trails for hikers and many lookout points for whale watching.
- Wilderness - Renowned for its wide open beaches and beautiful lagoons, Wilderness is holiday destination for both water sport enthusiasts and craftsmen. Must do activities include visiting Dolphin Point for a spectacular view of the ocean and the famous Kaaimans River Bridge for great photography opportunities.
- George - Situated roughly halfway between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, George is a convenient base to explore the Garden Route from. George is a modern town with sophisticated infrastructure that is quickly becoming South Africa’s golf paradise.
The Garden Route’s Essential Experiences
Must do’s along the journey
- Hike the Otter Trail in the Tsitsikamma National Park
- Visit the Addo Elephant National Park
- Explore the Cango Caves near Oudtshoorn
- The Garden Route’s Extraordinary Encounters
- Add some of these truly outstanding local experiences to build your perfect visit
- Play golf at one of the many world class golf courses
- Bungee jump off Bloukrans Bridge (world’s highest)
- Tour the Knysna Elephant Park in a 4WD vehicle to observe orphaned elephants in their natural environment. Take the once in a lifetime opportunity to ride on the back of one of these beautiful creatures
- Visit the Featherbed Nature Reserve on the Western Head in Knysna
- Walk through the Robberg Nature Reserve for excellent site seeing opportunities