Johannesburg, or Joburg as it’s more commonly known, is a dynamic cosmopolitan city with great places to eat, interesting sites to explore, historical landmarks to visit, and a range of places to stay.
The city is the economic powerhouse of South Africa. A number of Joburg’s attractions bridge the gap between the city’s heated past and its booming present.
Johannesburg’s Essential Experiences
Must do’s in this cosmopolitan city
- Take a tour of Soweto, the township that featured some dramatic anti-apartheid struggles
- Attend a production at the Joburg Theatre
- Visit the Sterkfontein Caves and Maropeng Visitor Centre at the Cradle of Humankind, a World Heritage site
Johannesburg’s Extraordinary Encounters
Add some of these truly outstanding local experiences to build your perfect visit
- Take a tour of Constitutional Hill, a National Heritage site, to learn about South Africa’s turbulent past and its transition to democracy
- Shop at the African Craft Market that showcase pieces from across Africa
- Walk through the Apartheid Museum for a chronology of the country’s first steps to freedom
- Explore the Johannesburg Art Gallery to view some of the most prized works in the world at the largest gallery on the sub-continent
- Journey underground to the Gold Mine Pub in the world’s richest and deepest gold mine.
- Visit the suburb, Sandton, to discover the luxurious side of the city with glamorous hotels, malls, restaurants, and late night spots